Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day

We spent Valentine's at home. We usually just stay home for Valentine's and do what we can to make it special for us and the kids. The kids really get into it. It would be nice I'm sure to go have a nice romantic dinner but really we love doing something as a family at home and making the kids feel special.

I spent most of the afternoon preparing dinner. We had cheese fondue with veggies and steak and had chocolate fondue for dessert.

When Corey got home from work he and Ryan spent an hour or so upstairs working on something and then came down with orders for me to go "get pretty" and not come out until they say it's okay. So I made sure dinner was ready enough and went and did what they said. Getting pretty feels much harder pregnant!

Anyway, they said it was time and Corey and Finn came and got me and Finn was dressed in some old fancy clothes and he was my "waiter" and showed me to my table. It was pretty cute. Then Ryan came down the stairs playing her violin. It was so sweet. Dinner was all set up and waiting for me. They even made paper stars, hearts and a moon and hung them from the ceiling fan.

We had little presents for the kids, Ryan got a charm bracelet and Finn got the movie Alpha and Omega.  He's so obsessed with movies! We took them to see Narnia on Sunday and he sat quietly through the whole thing. He thinks the theaters are the best place on earth.







All in all life is great right now. Things aren't too busy and I'm just enjoying it as much as I can. Come June our life will be a lot busier. I'm enjoying watching Ryan and Finn and how they change every day. I'm in a pretty positive place as far as dealing without my Mom. I obviously have my moments but they're easier to handle. When we were heading to the store to get our stuff for our Valentine's dinner we drove by the cemetery and Ryan shouted "Hi Grandma, Happy Valentine's" and Finn started looking everywhere and saying "where I can't see her" so I pointed in the direction of her grave and said say "Hi Grammy" and he did but then he said "I can't hear her she's not saying anything back". He was so frustrated and I think that's how I am too. I so understand what he was feeling at that moment.  I just reminded him that he won't be able to hear her but he'll be able to feel her in his heart.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had tons of fun...I cannot wait for those "special" day to spoil the kid or kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Lisa! I just love your family! The traditions and memories you and Corey are making will be so cherished by Finn and Ryan and the new baby. Your mom would be so proud of you! You are carrying on where she left off. We used to do that with the boys and it was priceless.
    I'm glad your days are more positive than not. If you ever need me or a shoulder I am here. Love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative and fun!!! I love how Corey jumped in to "add" to the dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a blessed Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lis! This post made me cry.... The whole time I was thinking how stinking adorable you guys are (not that thats anything new) but that last little bit there got me! You have always handled everything with ease and you continue to amaze me!! I can't help but think how proud mama VanDiest would be of you! You truly are SO amazing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete